Tuesday, January 25, 2011
The time to start, is now . . .
This is my first post on my blog. I have been reading many blogs including, The Principal of Change, and The Wejr Board, as well as Connected Principals, and it has been refreshing to be able to learn from colleagues outside my school division about matters that all administrators are experiencing across Canada and in the U.S.
My hope is that I can also begin sharing important things in my own journey as a principal as I continue to lead the learning agenda in my school.
I am now moving from reading and thinking to actually starting; to actually being brave enough to share!
The important thing is I started; rather than planning to start or thinking about starting, I just started.
I think this is true of many things we do as school leaders; we just need to start.
It may be :
- popping into more classrooms
- phoning more parents to share the cool thing their son/daughter did at school that day
- inviting a teacher to share an innovative idea at a staff meeting
- asking your superintendent to come out to your school to see a presentation by some creative students
- asking the really tough questions when meeting with a struggling teacher
As leaders in schools, we are bombarded with change and we need to make decisions that many are depending on at warp speed.
But today, it's time to start blogging!